Home | Site Map | Cisco How ToNet How To | Wireless |Search | Forums | Services | Donations | Careers | About Us | Contact Us|

Vista turns off wireless adapter on sleep

Wi-Fi, Mobile phone.

Vista turns off wireless adapter on sleep

Postby Megalodon » Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:46 pm

Hey there, I've read through the forums and tried a few things in an effort to fix my computer, but sadly nothing has helped thusfar. I'll list here both what my problem is, and what I've done to try and fix it.

My problem: When I sleep my laptop, it goes into sleep just fine. However, when I bring it back out of sleep, the computer fails to turn my wireless adapter back on. In fact, the system light for the wireless doesn't even come on. When I check my network status, it says that I don't have a wireless card, even though the card does show up in the device manager. Currently, the only way to fix it is to restart the computer. Oddly enough, I have -no- issues with hibernation, which is what I've been using as a sleep alternative. When I wake the computer from hibernation, the wireless adapter is turned back on without any glitch.

What I've tried: I've tried the most commonly touted solution of going into the properties of the adapter and disabling "Allow windows to turn this off to save power," but it hasn't fixed my issue. Sleeping still turns off the adapter, and waking from sleep still fails to turn it back on. I've also tried making sure "Maximum Performance" was selected in the power management options for the wi-fi, though I doubted that would work anyway since my problem is not having a wireless adapter available -at-all- after waking from sleep, and not just low connectivity. I tried it anyway to cover my bases, though, and sure enough, it didn't work. I've also tried disabling and re-enabling the adapter from the device manager after sleeping, but to no avail. The adapter stays turned off even after re-enabling it. A restart of the system is necessary for me to get my network adapter back. I've checked my system BIOS, and it doesn't mention sleep, however I was informed that my system had sleep enabled as a default. I've tried looking for new drivers, but windows assures me that the best drivers for my card (NETw4v32.sys, NETw4v32c.dll, NETw4v32r.dll, version 11.1.0.86) are already installed.

My system: I have an Alienware 5790 with an internal 802.11 Wi-Fi card (4965AGN). I called alienware tech support and they assured me it was an issue with Vista, and not a hardware issue with the system. If anyone has any help or suggestions that they could offer, I would really appreciate it.

P.S. I've also tried turning the wireless adapter on and off again via the wireless "On/Off" button on my system. I've also tried turning it off, disabling it, turning it back on, and re-enabling it, and several other combinations, none of which have worked. I've also tried turning the wireless card off before putting my computer into sleep mode, and turning it back on after coming out of sleep, but that doesn't work either. It just ignores that I turned it on, and the adapter fails to "wake up" again.
Megalodon

Postby Bill Castner » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:43 pm

It would help to see if there is an entry in your Event Logs from Network Diagnostics. Look for event entries such as:
Event ID 1003 from source Microsoft-Windows-Dhcp-Client
EventI D 6100 from source Helper Class (RNWF MSM Helper Class)

If so, it would help if you could post the event details back to the Forum.

Lets rule out some things:

1. Download and apply this Hotfix:

The default gateway setting is lost when you wake a Windows Vista-based computer from sleep
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933872/en-us

2. Issues with the Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG and 4965AGN Network Adapter are Intel problems and not Vista in my opinion. You have to fiddle:
Bill Castner

Postby Megalodon » Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:10 am

I installed the driver and hotfix, but unfortunately I still have the problem. However, I feel I should mention something. In my first post I said that the computer didn't think I had a wireless card available. That was incorrect (technically). The next time I put my computer into sleep mode, and brought it back with no wireless, I ran the "check for a solution" and it told me that the wireless was turned off and needed to be turned back on via a physical switch on the system. The problem being of course, the switch was already on, and turning it off and on again has no affect. That said, I put my computer into a hibernation state and woke it up again to bring back wireless (which does work for some reason), and monitored it in the event manager. I then put the computer to sleep, brought it back, and then hibernated it again to bring back the wireless while keeping the event viewer open. The results are as follows:

[I put the computer into hibernation here.]
10:45:57 PM; Source: ResourcePublication
The service temporarily stopped publishing because of a power event.
10:45:57 PM; Source: Kernel-Power
The system is entering sleep.

[I woke the computer back up from hibernation here.]

10:46:49 PM; Source: Dhcp-Client
Your computer was successfully assigned an address from the network, and it can now connect to other computers.
10:46:48 PM; Source: ResourcePublication
The service is publishing to the network.
10:46:48 PM; Source: Tcpip
The system detected that network adapter Wireless Network Connection was connected to the network, and has initiated normal operation.
10:46:48 PM; Source: Tcpip
The system detected that network adapter Wireless Network Connection was connected to the network, and has initiated normal operation.(Yes that event was twice in a row).
10:46:55 PM; Source: Power-Troubleshooter
The system has resumed from sleep.

Sleep Time: 6/2/2007 5:45:49 AM
Wake Time: 6/2/2007 5:46:47 AM

Wake Source: Unknown

[Here I put the computer into normal sleep.]

10:48:18 PM; Source: BROWSER
The browser has forced an election on network \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{CD2EF478-0334-4447-8823-EB6559259033} because a master browser was stopped.
10:48:18 PM; Source: ResourcePublication
10:48:18 PM; Source: Kernel-Power

[And then woke it up again by clicking my USB mouse.]

10:49:00 PM; Source: ResourcePublication
10:49:02 PM; Source: Power-Troubleshooter

Sleep Time: 6/2/2007 5:48:17 AM
Wake Time: 6/2/2007 5:48:52 AM

Wake Source: Device -USB Root Hub

[Then put it into hibernate again.]

10:49:39 PM; Source: ResourcePublication
10:49:39 PM; Source: Kernel-Power

[And woke it up once more to finish this post.]

10:50:25 PM; Source: Dhcp-Client
Your computer was successfully assigned an address from the network, and it can now connect to other computers.
10:50:23 PM; Source: ResourcePublication
10:50:24 PM; Source: Tcpip
The system detected that network adapter Wireless Network Connection was connected to the network, and has initiated normal operation.
10:50:24 PM; Source: Tcpip
The system detected that network adapter Wireless Network Connection was connected to the network, and has initiated normal operation. (again it posted this event twice)
10:50:32 PM; Source: Power-Troubleshooter

Sleep Time: 6/2/2007 5:49:36 AM
Wake Time: 6/2/2007 5:50:23 AM

Wake Source: Unknown

------

I hope that's what you were looking for. If you need other information, just let me know.
Megalodon

Postby Megalodon » Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:16 am

I figured I'd best post the browser event details, since it seemed a tad odd.

BROWSER event:
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{CD2EF478-0334-4447-8823-EB6559259033}
Megalodon

Postby Bill Castner » Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:28 am

The BROWSER event was because at the time the machine entered hibernation it was the Master Browser on that LAN segment. Even if you were the only computer on the "LAN", there has to be one machine that is the elected MASTER BROWSER. The Event is normal, and unrelated to your underlying issue.

Please make both registry edits described in this MS KB article:

Windows Vista cannot obtain an IP address from certain routers or from certain non-Microsoft DHCP servers
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/928233

Reboot.

Releated to this change, do a compatability test of your wireless router:

Microsoft Internet Gateway Device Connection Test Utility
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/using/ ... fault.mspx

Report back to the Forum any FAILED results from the test.

Final thought for tonight: Have you tried using a Static IP address for the wireless adapter?

Best regards,
Bill Castner
Bill Castner

Postby Bill Castner » Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:20 am

It would be interesting to see if this applies:
937477 After you wake a Windows Vista-based computer from sleep or from hibernation, the network icon in the notification area does not show the correct connectivity status
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937477/en-us

If you are use WPA-2:
You cannot connect to a wireless network in Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935222/en-us
Bill Castner

Postby Megalodon » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:45 pm

Just to let you know that I have tried the registry change, but it still did not fix the problem unfortunately. I ran the test, and everything showed up as supported. I haven't checked the following links that you posted, but I will do so tonight. One thing I will say is that I cannot access any pages or any internet content, so I don't think that it's an issue of the icon just not displaying the correct information. The wireless card is turned off by the sleep, and not turned back on again when I wake the computer. When windows looks for a solution, it tells me that the wireless is turned off needs to be turned on via a switch on the computer (which in my case is on the front), but despite playing with the switch, I can't turn it back on again.
Megalodon

Postby Bill Castner » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:36 pm

I believe everything you have reported. However, I still do not see this as a Vista issue per se. My concern in the imediate post above was that your Event logs did not show a DHCP event takeing place of any kind. This may be due to the fact that you reset the computer into hiberantion mode after less than thirty seconds.

Hence the instructions to check Vista settings, and the router, to be sure that there were no DHCP issues involved in your problem.

One difference between Hibernation and Sleep is BIOS-related. It is what power state the BIOS in interfacing to Vista's ACPI service sets for any device in hibernate or sleep. Hibernate usually, (BIOS dependent) will use an S3 state and Sleep will use a deeper S4 state. If your machine is not resuming all devices from an S4 state then this is a BIOS issue, as Vista is most certainly tellling it to do so.
Bill Castner

Postby Megalodon » Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:00 am

Hmm, that makes sense. In relation to a system freezing issue I was having (and still am, though that's an entirely different subject), the Alienware tech support had me flash my system with a BIOS version 1.20, which was supposed to be for my chipset. However, when I look back where I originally downloaded it from their support site, it's no longer there, and only the 1.19 version is up. I wonder if possibly there was an issue with the 1.2 BIOS that caused them to pull it after putting it up for download?
Megalodon

Postby guest » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:09 pm

Your Windows Vista client won't enter hibernation if the value of
"Sleep after" is configured.

Yes, I can reproduce the issue if I follow your settings to set "Hibernate
after" 1 minutes and "Sleep after" 10 minutes. In addition, I performed
some additions tests and I found that if I set "Hibernate after" 5 minutes
and "Sleep after" 2 minutes, it will go to sleep mode first. After 5
minutes, it will go to Hibernate mode.

At this point, I would like to explain that it is not a bug in Vista. It is
by design in Windows. "Hibernate after" time should be set longer than
"Sleep after" time since Hibernate is S4 in ACPI but Sleep is S3 in ACPI.
It is normal S3 mode can go to S4 mode. However, S4 mode cannot go to S3
mode automatically. Therefore, setting the "Hibernate after" time shorter
than the "Sleep after" time will cause conflicts.

At this point, I would like to explain the difference between Sleep and
Hibernate.

Sleep is commonly known as Standby in Windows system or S3 in ACPI. In
Sleep mode, the power supply to non-essential and non-critical component is
withheld, and most system operation is shutdown and stopped. All data in
physical memory (RAM module) is still kept in internal memory, and whole
system is place in stand-by mode, which can be woke up and used almost
immediately. In Sleep mode, the power load reduce considerably, saving a
lot of energy. However, the power must not be cut off, and must be continue
to supply to the computer. Once out of power, the system will have to start
again just like a newly boot computer just started from power off state.

Hibernate, or S4 in ACPI, meanwhile will save the data in physical memory
to hard disk drive (HDD), and then power off the computer. In Hibernate
mode, a file named hiberfil.sys which has the same file size as the amount
of system memory will be created on the local disk. When user wants to use
the computer again, the computer will boot up and load back the state at
the last hibernation. The advantage of Hibernation mode is that no power is
wasted for maximum saving of power. In Hibernation dormancy, no electricity
is consumed by system. Beside, restore from Hibernate is generally faster
than computer reboot, and is totally different from fresh start, as users
can return to the exact state of last hibernation with all programs running
and documents opened intact, instead of empty desktop. The disadvantage of
Hibernate is that after a period of time, there may have fragmentation of
file. Users will need to defragment the volume that stores the hibernation
file frequently.

Therefore, please set the "Hibernate after" time longer than the "Sleep
after" time if you want to use Sleep and Hibernate together.
Tablet and Smartphone Setup Guide
http://www.quicksetupguide.com

Troubleshooting Vista Wireless
http://chicagotech.net/

Return to Wireless

Your Ad Here