Home | Site Map | Cisco How ToNet How To | Wireless |Search | Forums | Services | Donations | Careers | About Us | Contact Us|

Network Printer Problems - Windows 7

Active Directory, Domain, DNS, WINS, DHCP, SBS, New Releases.

Network Printer Problems - Windows 7

Postby fenton » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:40 pm

Hi!

When I try to have Windows 7 automatically connect to the network printer, it says it cannot locate a suitable driver.

I have downloaded the proper printer drivers for the HP4250 and I can't seem to add the HP4250 as a network printer. Windows 7 says a compatible driver cannot be found in the folder where the INI is located. I have verified that it is the correct INI for the printer. I assume this fails because the OS is not Vista. Is there a way to change the INI to trick Windows 7 into thinking it is a Vista machine? I am sure this would work if I can get it to add it properly.

Any help would be appreciated. I also tried this with a color HP network printer we have with the same results.
Thanks!
fenton

Re: Network Printer Problems - Windows 7

Postby fenton » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:40 pm

This does work if you add the printer locally. You just need the IP address of the printer.

Add a printer
Add a local printer
Create a new port
Standard TCP/IP Port
Port Name -- put the IP address there.

If the driver is not local, you should be able to get it from Windows Update. However, the Color 3600N was not in the list, but my black and white laser was.

Regardless, this works. Thank you for your help. Hopefully Microsoft will get the network printer issues worked out before release...
fenton

Return to Windows

Your Ad Here