Home | Site Map | Cisco How ToNet How To | Wireless |Search | Forums | Services | Donations | Careers | About Us | Contact Us|

Windows 7 can't connect to SBS 2003 SP2

Active Directory, Domain, DNS, WINS, DHCP, SBS, New Releases.

Windows 7 can't connect to SBS 2003 SP2

Postby fenton » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:25 pm

I have KB926505 installed on my SBS 2003 SP2 server.

I just installed Windows 7 Enterprise RTM 32-bit on a laptop (full install, not an upgrade). I activated Windows successfully after supplying the MAK.

When I put http://MYSERVER/connectcomputer in IE8, it switches to https://MYSERVER/connectcomputer/vista.htm. I download and run nshelp.exe. After 10-15 seconds, I get a big popup that starts with:

"The server that is running Windows SBS 2003 cannot be found."

It wants me to verify that my external DHCP router has the SBS server as its primary DNS (it does).

What am I missing?
fenton

Re: Windows 7 can't connect to SBS 2003 SP2

Postby fenton » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:26 pm

Hi Mark,

I understand that you have fixed the DNS problem and now receive the following error when running the connectcomputer wizard:

"An error occurred while trying to copy the Client Setup files."

Based on my research, the problem may occur if SSL is enabled on ConnectComputer virtual directory in IIS. Please follow the steps below to verify it:

1. Open IIS Manager.
2. Expand SBSSERVER\Web Sites\Default Web Site\ConnectComputer.
3. Right click ConnectComputer and select Properties.
4. Switch to "Directory Security" tab and click Edit under "Secure communications".
5. Make sure the option "Require secure channel (SSL)" is unchecked and click OK.
6. Click OK.
7. Run the command: iisreset.

Then, run the connectcomputer wizard again on the Windows 7 laptop to check the result.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Best regards,

Kevin Zhao
Partner Online Technical Community
fenton

Postby fenton » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:27 pm

From the description, I understand that you cannot connect the new Win7 Enterprise client to your SBS 2003 SP2 server using /connectcomputer and error appears indicating that the SBS2003 server cannot be found. If I have misunderstood, please let me know.

Based on my research, I suggest we try the following steps to see if we can resolve this issue:

Step 1: Run CEICW on SBS to reconfigure the network

==========

Please go through the following KB and rerun CEICW carefully.

How to configure Internet access in Windows Small Business Server 2003 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/825763/en-us

Detailed steps for your reference:

a. On the SBS 2003 Server open the Server Management console. Go to Standard Management\To Do List.

b. Click the "Connect to the Internet" link.

c. When navigating to the Firewall page, select "Enable firewall" and click Next.

d. On the "Services Configuration" page, select all the items and then click Next.

e. On the "Web Services Configuration" page, make sure "Allow access to the entire Web site from the Internet" is selected. If you select "Allow access to only the following Web site services from the Internet", make sure all items in the list are selected. Click Next.

f. On the "Web Server Certificate" page, choose to create a new Web server certificate and then type the public domain name (your public DNS name) that you will use to access OWA and RWW (for example, if your public domain name that you use to access the sites is www.xyz.com, you should type www.xyz.com as the new certificate name).

g. Go through the remaining steps.

Step 2

==========

Please ensure the Win7 client’s DNS is pointing to SBS internal IP address, or it will have name resolution issue.

If we cannot resolve the issue after we perform the steps above, please help me collect some information for further investigation:

1. Please capture screenshots on the error messages when you run /connectcomputer wizard on Win7 client and send the pictures to me.

2. Run command "ipconfig /all > c:\ipconfig_client.txt" and "route print >c:\route_client.txt" on problematic Win7 client, send the files c:\ipconfig_client.txt and c:\route_client.txt to me.

3. Gather MPS network report on SBS:

a. Download MPSrepot_network from http://download.microsoft.com/download/ ... ETWORK.EXE

b. Run MPSRPT_NETWORK.exe.

c. The tool will automatically collect the information. This procedure will take 10~15 minutes.

d. Open Windows Explorer, navigate to the folder: %SystemRoot%\MPSReports\Network\Reports\Cab\

e. Send the .cab file directly to me.

Please compress all the files I request, then send to POTCDATA@MICROSOFT.COM with subject:

9798287b-9def-45e5-b2b4-96d8b5f986bf Windows 7 can't connect to SBS 2003 SP2 using /connectcomputer

Thank you for your help.

If you have any other concerns, please feel free to let me know.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Best regards,

Vernon Yu
fenton

Postby fenton » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:30 pm

I think I found the problem, or part of it. On closer examination, the NSLOOKUP run from the client is actually NOT working correctly:

C:>NSLOOKUP MYSBSSERVER
Server: mysbsserver.mydomain.local
Address: 192.168.0.2
*** mysbsserver.mydomain.local can't find mysbsserver: Server failed

So it is correctly using the SBS server as the DNS server, but DNS resolution is failing.

When I run the same command from an XP machine on the same network, I get these results:

C:>NSLOOKUP MYSBSSERVER
Server: mysbsserver.mydomain.local
Name: mysbsserver.mydomain.local

So I went in to the adapter settings of the Win7 computer and added mydomain.local as a hard-coded suffix. After that, the NSLOOKUP worked correctly. Perhaps this is an additional requirement when using an external router as the DHCP server?

Now, the /connectcomputer process gives me a different error: "An error occurred while trying to copy the Client Setup files." It says if I do not have a proxy (which I don't), the administrator must reinstall the Client Deployment component on the server from Add/Remove Programs. On the server, C:\ClientApps is shared and contains lots of (mostly old) programs. Is a reinstallation really necessary, or is there another issue?
fenton

Postby fenton » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:30 pm

I understand that you have fixed the DNS problem and now receive the following error when running the connectcomputer wizard:

"An error occurred while trying to copy the Client Setup files."

Based on my research, the problem may occur if SSL is enabled on ConnectComputer virtual directory in IIS. Please follow the steps below to verify it:

1. Open IIS Manager.
2. Expand SBSSERVER\Web Sites\Default Web Site\ConnectComputer.
3. Right click ConnectComputer and select Properties.
4. Switch to "Directory Security" tab and click Edit under "Secure communications".
5. Make sure the option "Require secure channel (SSL)" is unchecked and click OK.
6. Click OK.
7. Run the command: iisreset.

Then, run the connectcomputer wizard again on the Windows 7 laptop to check the result.

Best regards,

Kevin Zhao
fenton

Postby fenton » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:32 pm

Yes, turning off SSL did allow me to complete the /connectcomputer wizard and join the domain. It rebooted twice after completing the wizard, which does nto seem right, but I was able to log on to the domain from the client.

Is this the preferred configuration, to disable SSL on the server for /connectcomputer? It seems odd that the initial instructions included steps on renewing the self-signed server certificate if the whole point is to bypass the secure connection. I do have IP security set up under /connectcomputer to only accept connections from the LAN, but still it seeems odd that SSL was on if it was not supposed to be.
fenton

Postby fenton » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:32 pm

I am glad to hear that connectcomputer wizard successfully finished.

Actually, it is the default setting that SSL is disabled on ConnectComputer virtual directory. For more information, please refer to the following article:

Default settings of 'Default Website', Virtual Directories under Default Website and Companyweb on a SBS 2003 Server
http://blogs.technet.com/asksbs/archive ... erver.aspx

If you have any other questions or concerns in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us. It is always our pleasure to be of assistance.

Best regards,

Kevin Zhao
fenton

Return to Windows

Your Ad Here