Home | Site Map | Cisco How ToNet How To | Wireless |Search | Forums | Services | Donations | Careers | About Us | Contact Us|

Vista went and lost the internet on me-Help

Network Sharing , TCP/IP, Internet, Wireless, Exchange, IIS, ISA and Print

Vista went and lost the internet on me-Help

Postby SteveVHT » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:20 pm

Hi,
I desperately need an experts help. I tried over at the microsoft website, and didn't get any results.
The computer is a Dell Inspiron E1505 with Vista Home Premium.
I am no tech-wizz...but I can usually troubleshoot and resolve most computer problems...with good instruction of course.
The computer suddenly lost all internet connection for no apparent reason. Both wireless and direct plug into a cable model with a cat 5 cable. This is the only Vista based computer I have, so It's a bit different compared to the XP Pro machines I have. All other computers connect fine direct to my cable modem and/or Linksys hub. So I know it's not a modem, hub or cable problem.(no wireless router involved)
I have reset the winsock, run the wizards, unistalled and re-installed all drivers, both network cards(Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller and Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-card)
I ran a full diagnostics, and nothing turned up corrupt or failed as far as the computer says.
I have tried just about everything on the windows site.
Is there something simple I'm missing??? Complicated? Anything?
The computer has literally only been used for checking emails for business, typing letters, etc. No web browsing etc.
It came with and had McAfee from dell that was always updated. I unistalled that after running a full scan for virus,spyware etc.
I can not run a trend scan or similar since I can't get online...
When I run "Diagnose Connection Problem", I have the stock options which do nothing at all. They just say I still have a problem.
When I try to set up a new internet connection, it fails. Only gives the 3 options for Wireless,PPPoE and Dialup. (I just want it to get online via Cat5 for now) All my LAN settings are set up for automatic detect.
Network and sharing center has:
This computer-----Unidendified Network(private)-----(RED X)-------Internet
Access- Local only
Connection-LAN
Local Area Connection Status:
IPv4 Connectivity-Local
IPv6 Connectivity- Limited
Media State- Enabled
Duration-
Speed 110.0

Activity-
254 sent
0 received

This computer has limited or No connectivity.......

Network Connection Details:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix-
Description- Broadcom 440x10/100
Physical Address- 00-19-B9-79-52-4D
DHCP-Enabled
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address- 169.254.145.121
IPv4 Subnet Mask 255.255.0.0
IPv4 DNS Server
IPv4 WINS Server
NetBios over Tcpip- Enabled
etc etc etc....

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am about to throw the thing in the canal.....LOL
Thank in advance.
Steve
SteveVHT

Postby SteveVHT » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:08 pm

Maybe a format is in order, and install XP Pro????

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
SteveVHT

Postby chicagotech » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:56 pm

169.254.145.121 tells me the computer doesn't talk to DHCP server. Have try to assign a static IP address?
Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on http://www.ChicagoTech.net
How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on http://www.HowToNetworking.com
chicagotech
Site Admin

Postby SteveVHT » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:06 am

OK
What do I use for this?
If I copy my IP address from my main computer and modem, the Vista laptop says there is a conflict that 2 machines have the same IP.
Why would auto detect just stop working in the Vista machine?
Like I said, I can plug any of 3 other comps into my hub, and use them all at the same time....just not this Vista machine.
Are the IP address, subnet mask and default gateways supposed to be different?
Can you walk me through the steps?
Thanks
Steve
SteveVHT

Postby chicagotech » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:53 am

The Vista doesn't work because it is a new OS. It could be the incompatible issue. You may want to check this page.

Vista incompatible issues
Vista Incompatible issues. 1. Some switches or routers may not compatible ... Some switches and routers may not compatible with Vista – Solutions: upgrade ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistacompatible.htm

To use a static IP, you can copy other computer TCP/IP settings, but change the IP address to a unused. For example other computers and router use 192.168.0.1 to 10, you may assign the Vista IP to 192.168.0.200.
Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on http://www.ChicagoTech.net
How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on http://www.HowToNetworking.com
chicagotech
Site Admin

Return to Networking

Your Ad Here